Saturday, August 6, 2011

How Did That Happen?

Lakeland Florida has been my stomping ground for 30 plus years.  I grew up here and have been in business here seems like forever.  I have seen a lot of things come and go but what I hate most is to see someone take advantage of one of my neighbors.

I remember the hurricanes of 2004 that came right through Polk County.  It was a mess.  Many people had a lot of damage and there was a lot of work to do.  My company at the time kicked into high gear and began helping as many customers as we possibly could.  We first made sure that our employees and subcontractors were safe and secure.  We then started working on helping our current and past clients secure their property.  And next we worked on the barrage of phone calls we got from new clients that were in need of our help.

Through that time I saw a lot of people that were ripped off by people posing as contractors.  I also saw a lot of bad craftsmanship from licensed contractors that were posing as Remodeling Contractors.  If you don't want to find yourself in this situation make sure you do these 3 things.

Number 1; check the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations (DBPR).  Make sure the contractor is licensed.  Number 2 look to see if there are any complaints against the contractor.  Number 3 ask around.  Find out if anyone you know has had a bad experience with this contractor.  Those 3 things will help you stay out of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment